- 1 onion, chopped
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 115g red lentils
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp chilli
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 3tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp oyster sauce
- 225g tinned kidney beans, drained
- Fry the onion in a large saucepan with a big glug of oil, for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, lentils, thyme, cumin, chilli, mixed spice, soy sauce and oyster sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the lentils sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add a drop of water if the lentils look close to drying out.
- Stir in the kidney beans and cook for 10 minutes, with a splash of water if it needs it.