This sweet, sloppy, chunky, sour, sticky mess is great with roasts, stews, cold meats, or just on toast. I could eat it for every meal.
- 1 red cabbage, core removed and roughly cut into chunks
- 1 pack (approx. 300g) streaky bacon, sliced finely.
- 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and roughly diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 or 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- Fry the bacon and fennel seeds with plenty of olive oil in a very large saucepan, for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and fry for a few more minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the apple, cabbage and balsamic vinegar. Season well with salt, pepper, and anything else you fancy. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for an hour, stirring occasionally.
This keeps well in the fridge, and is even better reheated and served with a bit of butter.